Sunday, March 2, 2014

Frittering

I always enjoy going to see my hairdresser, not just for the pleasure of her company and her ability to transform my dull, greying  and lifeless locks but because she has all the latest magazines. I can rarely bring myself to fork out for them and rely on the dentist, hairdresser and waiting in line at Coles to keep myself abreast of all the latest among the celebrity set and whether or not grey or navy is the new black.  On this occasion I bypassed the fashion and went for the recipes. Our discussion centred on the multitude of ingredients available these days that just weren't available when we were growing up.  Coriander was unheard of and dishes garnished with parsley and mint were considered gourmet but they were grown in your own garden.  Mostly I recall the dried container of Mixed Herbs being a staple seasoning in our house.


I pointed out the recipe above which appealed to me.  I have very fond memories of my Scottish grandmother and my mother making potato fritters which were absolutely delicious.  Golden, crispy at the edges, lots of pepper and salt and cooked all the way through.  I think there must have been buckets of oil used because those were the days before non stick fry pans.  Sadly I have never been able to emulate their results my fritters fall to bits and are raw in the middle.  It is demoralising but I was prepared to give it one more go.

My hairdresser laughed and remembered her own mother making fritters out of anything leftover, polony fritters, bubble and squeak fritters, you name it and it could be turned into a fritter.  Such skill and no waste!

Sadly my attempt was not well received at last night's dinner table. Having just eaten a few for lunch in an effort to reduce the mound of remaining fritters it appears that they have not improved after a night in the fridge.  My one remaining chook may view them more favourably but I doubt it.



Nope, not that hungry.


(In my defence the recipe is pretty vague about quantities and two zucchini seemed a lot as they were quite big.  It said the mixture would make eight medium sized fritters.  I had more like eighty.  Eight fritters the size of Frisbees maybe.  I thought about my hairdresser's mum making fitters with leftovers but it is too dismal to contemplate making fritters out of fritters so I am going to ditch them and move forward.)

No comments:

Post a Comment